Clinical Experience I for Laboratory Technicians (Mohawk College/The Michener Institute Program)
This course has a limited number of spots. Be sure to register as soon as you can!
Diaram Deokharan, Lisa Gibbs, Peggy Kiely, Mona Reid, Susie Livingstone
This simulated clinical experience workshop will allow students in the joint Michener / Mohawk Medical Laboratory Assistant / Technician Program to apply the practical skills and theory that were studied in the prerequisite courses (including CLLT140).
Practical evaluations, exams, assignments
Entry level Medical Laboratory Technicians and those seeking certification
Students must attend all 8 days mentioned below from 9:00am to 5:00pm. Due to high demand, transfers will only be considered up to two weeks prior to the start date.
Fall 2022 Lab Schedule
Module 1 (Phlebotomy): Saturday, October 29 – Sunday, October 30
Module 2 (Chemistry and Hematology): Saturday, November 5 – Sunday November 6
Module 3 (Microbiology): Saturday, November 12 – Sunday, November 13
Module 4 (Cytology and Histology): Saturday, November 19 – Sunday, November 20
Must have completed: Mohawk Theory Courses; Michener PD807 Clinical Behavioural Sciences and Michener Clinical Skills Workshop for Laboratory Technicians CLLT140
* Please see this link to understand the program structure between Mohawk and Michener Flow Chart – Mohawk – Michener.
Dates are subject to change dependent on numbers and faculty availability.
- Preparation of smears
- Staining of slides in the areas of Microbiology, Histology and Cytology
- Inoculation of culture media
- Urinalysis and instrumentation
- Further Phlebotomy practice
- Professionalism in the workplace
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Effective September 7th all learners, faculty and staff must provide proof of at least one-dose of approved COVID-19 vaccine to participate in any in-person learning or on-site activities. Proof of full vaccination will be required as of October 8th, 2021.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.