PICC Insertion: A Comprehensive Guide
Online modules and one day workshop. Workshop dates may change due to unexpected events or unforeseen restrictions or number of attendees.
Two months - Open for continuous enrolment
Mark St. Denis, Shahvand Masihi
Online learning checks, online exam and competency assessment. (Competency assessment completed on simulation arms only, for live insertions this must be done under supervision)
Highly Recommended: Post-course commitment to have successful PICC insertions documented by supervisor. It is best practice to have a minimum of 10 successful insertions per year to remain competent.
Regulated Health Profession/ Nurse/ Medical Radiation Technologist
PIIR110 PICC Insertion
Saturday, December 10, 2022
- Various types
- Ultrasound Physics
- Vascular Anatomy and Site Selection
- Preparing for PICC Insertion
- Inserting the PICC
- Insertion Techniques and Catheter tip Confirmation
- Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters
- Managing Complications
- PICC Care and Maintenance
- Patient Education
- Sterile Field
PIIR110 – PICC Insertion- A Comprehensive Guide
Students will be required to successfully complete the online portion, after which they will attend a full-day workshop (at UHN). (covered by the online registration fee)
At the successful completion of online work and the workshop, a certificate of attendance will be awarded. This certification confirms completion of online content and one day workshop. Completion of this course does not represent the level of competency required for independent insertions.
It is highly recommended that students return to their home hospital to assist and participate in PICC insertions, with manager (or like position) approval. As found in literature, a minimum of 10 of any given procedure performed within a year is needed to remain professionally responsible to continue.
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Proof of full vaccination will be required.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.