Hybrid – login information will be emailed within 3 business days of registration. Workshop details below.
Continuous enrolment - max one year
Venipuncture skills are in demand as a fast growing occupation in health care. This hybrid course is broken into two main parts:
- The online theory portion of the course will provide a comprehensive review of the venipuncture procedure, including equipment and supplies, safety and infection control, and specimen handling and processing. Study at your own pace and complete the assignments to be eligible for the workshop.
- The practical in-class workshop demonstrations and practice of basic to advanced venipuncture techniques using simulation equipment. It enables learners to develop the necessary skills to perform basic and advanced venipuncture safely, while minimizing the risk of pre-analytical errors. Emphasis is placed on both well-established and current “tips and techniques” for collecting blood samples quickly, and with minimal discomfort to the patient.
In part 1, you will:
- Discuss common collection systems
- Use containers with common anticoagulants
- Understand the proper use of tourniquets
- Demonstrate cleansing techniques
- Practice needle handling and disposal
In part 2, you will:
- Demonstrate techniques for pediatric and geriatric patients
- Use precise and accurate specimen collection methods
- Enhance your interpersonal skills required to deal with anxious and nervous patients
- Obtain specimens using butterfly needles and micro-collection techniques
Complete the didactic component online at your own pace. Once you have finished the modules, you will be eligible for the one-day practical workshop. You must successfully complete online modules a minimum of two weeks prior to the workshop date you plan to attend. Be sure to confirm with instructor of space and you must comply with COVID vaccination and submit proof of vaccination before coming on site.
- Limited space is available for workshops – students are added on a first come first served basis. Let your instructor know which date you plan to attend as soon as possible.
- Participants must wear closed toed shoes to attend the workshop.
- Please note that online assignments must be completed 2 weeks before the workshop in order to be eligible to attend.
Upcoming Workshop Dates: (These dates are tentative)
- Sunday November 28, 2021 New date added- spots filling quickly
- Saturday February 5, 2022
- Saturday June 25, 2022
Location: The Michener Institute, 222 St. Patrick Street, Toronto, Ontario
Time: 09:00am – 06:00pm
Please Note: Workshop dates and times are subject to change.
You will receive a certificate of completion when you are able to demonstrate the practical skills.
Anyone working or preparing to work in healthcare, including Medical Laboratory Technologists, Laboratory Technicians and Assistants, Respiratory Therapists, Registered Nurses, Registered Practical Nurses and Emergency Medical Technicians.
Venipuncture Techniques – VP804
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Effective September 7th all learners, faculty and staff must provide proof of at least one-dose of approved COVID-19 vaccine to participate in any in-person learning or on-site activities. Proof of full vaccination will be required as of October 8th, 2021.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.