Hybrid – login information will be emailed within 3 business days of registration. Workshop details below.
Continuous enrolment - max one year
Venipuncture skills are in demand as a fast growing occupation in health care. This hybrid course is broken into two main parts:
- The online theory portion of the course will provide a comprehensive review of the venipuncture procedure, including equipment and supplies, safety and infection control, and specimen handling and processing. Study at your own pace and complete the assignments to be eligible for the workshop.
- The practical in-class workshop demonstrations and practice of basic to advanced venipuncture techniques using simulation equipment. It enables learners to develop the necessary skills to perform basic and advanced venipuncture safely, while minimizing the risk of pre-analytical errors. Emphasis is placed on both well-established and current “tips and techniques” for collecting blood samples quickly, and with minimal discomfort to the patient.
In part 1, you will:
- Discuss common collection systems
- Use containers with common anticoagulants
- Understand the proper use of tourniquets
- Demonstrate cleansing techniques
- Practice needle handling and disposal
In part 2, you will:
- Demonstrate techniques for pediatric and geriatric patients
- Use precise and accurate specimen collection methods
- Enhance your interpersonal skills required to deal with anxious and nervous patients
- Obtain specimens using butterfly needles and micro-collection techniques
Complete the didactic component online at your own pace. Once you have finished the modules, you will be eligible for the one-day practical workshop.
- Limited space is available for workshops – students are added on a first come first served basis.
- Participants must wear closed toed shoes to attend the workshop.
- ***Please note that online assignments must be completed 1 week before the workshop in order to be eligible.
Upcoming Workshop Dates:
- Saturday November 3, 2018 (assignments must be completed by October 26, 2018)
- Saturday February 9, 2019 (assignments must be completed by February 1, 2019)
- Saturday June 8, 2019 (assignments must be completed by June 1, 2019)
Location: The Michener Institute, 222 St. Patrick Street, Toronto, Ontario
Time: 09:00am – 06:00pm
NOTE:Workshop dates and times are subject to change.
You will receive a certificate of completion when you are able to demonstrate the practical skills.
Anyone working or preparing to work in healthcare, including Medical Laboratory Technologists, Laboratory Technicians and Assistants, Respiratory Therapists, Registered Nurses, Registered Practical Nurses and Emergency Medical Technicians.
Venipuncture Techniques – VP804 – Continuing Education
Basic and advanced venipuncture techniques
|Code||Course Title||Format||Tuition||Date(s)||Register By||Availability|
|VP804-YY1||HYBRID||$589.00||May-21-2019 to May-21-2020||Open|