The Healthcare Ecosystem- Behind the Scenes
Delivered online, using the Learning Management System- Blackboard.
There will be synchronous and asynchronous activities that you will be required to attend and participate.
Domestic fee $974, International fee $1271
- Foster the use of digital solutions that promote equity, diversity, inclusion for clinicians and patients,
including the most vulnerable and underserved in the community
- Capable of working in a variety of healthcare organizations either publicly funded (i.e., hospitals, local
or federal government) or privately funded (in product development or consulting) to bridge the
technology and clinical gap and enable seamless healthcare digital product development
- Develop a deep understanding of existing provincial and national programs and opportunities, roles of
the government and available data sets for clinical care
Target Course Competencies
- Differentiate the roles of the various stakeholders in the funding and delivery of healthcare in Canada,
including government agencies, regulatory bodies, industry, and individual healthcare institutions.
- Examine how the structure of the Canadian healthcare system impacts care delivery within and across
- Compare and contrast predominant international healthcare funding and delivery models as they
relate to the Canadian system.
- Consider frameworks for healthcare quality applicable in the Canadian context.
- Relate social determinants of health to key system performance indicators, including the intersection
with underlying structures influencing equity and access.
Assignments- Briefing Note, Position Paper, Debate notes
Participation and Engagement
This is a course that will give you the understanding, knowledge and tools to navigate the Canadian Healthcare System. This course can be one of the 4 required courses of the Clinical Management Certificate Program; it can be taken independently; great compliment to the Leadership in Healthcare Certificate Program, Clinical Research Certificate Program or Quality Management Certificate Program.
- Structure and Governance of Canada’s Health System- Provincial and Federal
- Health Financing
- Delivery in Canada – Public and Private
- Indigenous Health
- Comparing Healthcare Systems
- Public Health and Pandemic Control
- Population Health and Social Determinants of Health
- Digital and Data Tools in Health for Policy Decision Makers
HECE110 The Healthcare Ecosystem- Behind the Scenes
Digital health professionals operate within a complex, multi-faceted and ever evolving health ecosystem, that
encompasses everything from the clinic to the legislature. Every decision can have immense impact. We will
take you behind the scenes of healthcare and you will expand your knowledge of how healthcare works,
exploring several models with a keen focus on how Canada’s healthcare system provides care and supports
digitally enabled systems in comparison to other systems. You will learn the fundamental vocabulary and
concepts that are foundational to understanding the national and international healthcare landscape.
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Effective September 7th all learners, faculty and staff must provide proof of at least one-dose of approved COVID-19 vaccine to participate in any in-person learning or on-site activities. Proof of full vaccination will be required as of October 8th, 2021.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.