Support for Internationally Educated Students

Transitioning is challenging enough, and being in a new country with new systems can add to that. On this page you can find information regarding your educational documents, support and information services, mentoring and other resources to assist with work permits and visas, educational opportunities, and an introduction to Canadian life.

Education Credentials

Internationally educated applicants will need their international documents evaluated in order to determine admission to programs at Michener.

Please note that Michener does not review documents prior to applicants applying to Michener programs. Internationally educated applicants must have their credentials evaluated (course-by-course evaluation) by World Evaluation Services (WES) or International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) and then submitted with an application to Michener.

International Credential Evaluation

This includes both international and domestic applicants who have completed their secondary or post-secondary education outside of Canada. For applicants (Does not apply to Michener joint programs with other universities) with any level of education outside of North America, all education credentials must be evaluated.

Original or notarized copies are required for all documents. Photocopies or email attachments are not considered official documents and will not be accepted.

Accepted Services Credential Evaluation Contact/Website
World Education Services (WES) Course by course 1-866-343-0070
International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) Comprehensive 1-800-321-6021

English Language Assessment Steps

An English Language Assessment is not required for applicants from countries that are English-language dominant (listed on english language requirements webpage). Applicants who have completed two or more consecutive years of full-time post-secondary study in a Canadian university or college will not be required to provide proof of English language proficiency. Canadian licensed or registered health care professionals are exempt.

Original or notarized copies are required for all documents. Photocopies or email attachments are not considered official documents and will not be accepted.

Michener English Language Assessment

The Michener English Language Assessment (MELA) is a standardized English language proficiency test specific to the health care sector. This test is referenced to the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB).MELA scores are used for admission to all Michener full-time, part-time and bridging programs, as a diagnostic tool by program consultants and for regulatory licensing. For more information on the MELA process and general inquiries, please visit our MELA webpage or email

English Language Assessments are only valid for two years.

English Language Assessment Type of Evaluation/Test Scores Required Contact/Website
Michener English Language Assessment (MELA) 8.0 in each band 416-596-3117
MELA webpage
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) including TOEFL Home Edition

Minimum 100 (iBT), with 22 each in Writing and Speaking components.

Note: All scores must be achieved on a single test date. TOEFL MyBest scores is not accepted for admissionsl

Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test 65 Overall with communicative skills (reading, listening, writing, speaking) over 60 PTE
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Academic test: 6.5 Overall and 6.0 in every band

Note: IELTS One Skill retake will not be considered for admissions. Scores listed above must be achieved on a single test date.


Applying to Michener

Applicants to full-time programs must meet the admission requirements. Visit admission requirements page for more information. Applications open in October each year until February and admission decisions occur in April and May.

Michener is not able to review potential applicant’s documents prior to application. Potential applicants need to review the evaluation of their international documents to see if that review indicates specific admission requirements are met.

Support & Information Services for New Canadians is “one-stop shop” website administered by the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI) and funded by  Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) which provides information and resources for immigrants in Ontario. This website has helpful information on everything , from labour market information, employment standards, financial assistance, job-search techniques, and job postings, to credential assessments for  foreign-trained professionals and trades people.

The Mentoring Partnership

Are you an internationally trained professional living in Toronto who needs helps finding work in your specialized field or occupation? The city of Toronto along with other corporate partners, collaborates with The Mentoring Partnership and a consortium of community agencies to match professionals with skilled immigrants to mentor them for a period of four to six months. Mentors provide job search advice and support to help ease newcomers’ transition into the Canadian job market.

To be eligible you must:

  • Be eligible to work in Canada
  • Have lived in Canada for less than three years and have limited or no Canadian work experience in their profession OR have re-engaged with their profession through academic training or bridging within the past two years
  • Have the English skills required to perform effectively in the workplace
  • Have at least three years of international work experience in their area or expertise
  • Have achieved at least a bachelor’s degree – or equivalent post secondary education – from outside of Canada
  • Be currently unemployed or underemployed (i.e. not working in their field of expertise)
  • Be actively seeking work in their field

Visit the City of Toronto’s website for more information regarding these programs.


The YMCA uses a unique combination of assessment tools and counselling to help you better understand yourself and guide you in making changes in your life, or in choosing a meaningful career.

Find out more by visiting the YMCA career planning & development services .

Health Force Ontario

The Health Force Ontario Access Center is a hub for all internationally educated health professionals in Ontario. If you are seeking information and advice about the medical licensing process here in Canada, or about alternative career options in health care, the Access Center can off you guidance and support. Health Force Ontario offers a free range of services including:

  • One-to-One counseling
  • Information sessions
  • Orientation to licensure examinations
  • Webinars
  • In-person courses


COSTI is a community-based multicultural agency, providing employment, educational, settlement and social services to all immigrant communities and individuals in need of assistance.

Ontario Labour Market

Visit the Ontario Labour Market Explore 500 job profiles to find the one that’s right for you.

Not sure where to start? Take this simple career quiz to identify your strengths, and in about ten minutes you’ll get a list of ten jobs that may be a good fit for you. You can consider the results of this quiz in combination with other resources as you make career-related decisions.


Windmill offers low-interest loans of up to $15,000 to help immigrants restart their careers in Canada. Find out if you’re eligible by visiting the Windmill website.

Please Note: While every effort is made to avoid errors, practices do change.  Information on this page is intended as informational only.