COVID-19 Key Messages Regarding OSAP & Financial Aid
- Federal Government Loan Repayment: The Government of Canada has announced a plan to pause the repayment of federal student loans and interest accumulation until September 30th, 2020. The most up-to-date information regarding this change can be found here.
- Provincial Government Loan Repayment: The Government of Ontario has announced a similar moratorium on the repayment of provincial student loans until September 30th, 2020. Information regarding this change is available here.
Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
OSAP administers many financial aid programs comprising of loans, grants and scholarships. The eligibility rules for each program may change from one academic year to the next.
Students enrolled in diploma programs at Michener may be eligible, if qualified, for assistance under the Canada Student Loans (CSL) and/or the Ontario Student Loans (OSL) components of OSAP.
For complete information on OSAP please visit osap.gov.on.ca
Find out more about Michener Financial Aid.
The following Michener – only* programs are eligible for OSAP:
- Cardiovascular Perfusion
- Diagnostic Cytology
- Genetics Technology
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Respiratory Therapy
*For MRS programs offered with University of Toronto, students apply through University of Toronto.
Michener Financial Aid Office
Students in these programs should apply for OSAP online and email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Online OSAP Application
There is no fee to apply online at the OSAP web site osap.gov.on.ca
Indicate that Michener is the School You Plan to Attend.
To do so, when completing the online application at the OSAP website:
- Select the box for School not on list?
- A new box will appear to Search for school
- In the box, type in uppercase (capital) letters only, the single word MICHENER
- Proceed with the rest of the application
After the online application has been completed provide any supporting documentation to the Financial Aid Officer at Michener.
OSAP Confirmation of Enrolment
For the Fall and Winter terms, Michener Financial Aid staff confirm student’s enrolment each term in order for OSAP to release funding*. OSAP is released in two installments (Fall and Winter). Typically, loans are released 60 per cent in fall and 40 per cent in winter, while grants are split equally between each term.
Students will be notified by email when enrolment is confirmed. Funds are usually released within one week of the start of the term (dependent upon when the student applied for and was approved for OSAP).
*Note that Winter term OSAP disbursements includes funding for students enrolled in Summer terms
OSAP and Tuition/Ancillary Fees
Effective September 2019, OSAP funding for Michener students will be automatically redirected to Michener in the Fall and Winter* to pay tuition and ancillary fees. Tuition Deferral forms are not required. Students who have more OSAP funding than is required for tuition will have the remainder of their OSAP disbursement(s) deposited directly in their bank account. Students need to monitor their OSAP account and student account on Self-Service to ensure all fees are paid on time. Note that different amounts may be deposited on different dates as loan and grant funds may come in different installments.
*Note that Summer tuition, if applicable, will be redirected with Winter OSAP disbursements.